How to be a Bentoist
The Bento is a tool. Like all tools, the Bento becomes more useful and you become more skilled the more you use it. Using the Bento develops a clearer picture of your current and future needs, and the considerations of the people who matter most.
Being a Bentoist means learning to instinctively use the Bento as one of your mental models, and knowing how to apply its lessons to the real world. This website and our videos are a great place to start, but the best way to learn how to be a Bentoist is by practicing with others.
In “How to be a Bentoist,” we gather in small groups of ten people over six weeks to practice using the mental model of the Bento to encourage long-term thinking and a greater awareness of others. It’s an intimate space to explore your goals and values, dig deep into challenges, and experiment with different potential futures.
Here’s how it works:
- Groups meet for one hour on Wednesdays (you choose a time that fits your schedule)
- Groups receive weekly instructions from The Bento Society that guide a progressive journey
- Facilitation rotates between members of the group each week
- Future Architecting: Generating speculative futures and potential solutions to challenges
- Draw Your Life: A creative dive into our personal histories
- Shadow Bentos: Learning to understand our weaknesses as well as our strengths
“You will get more out of it than expected. I relate it to as a virtual *Breakfast Club*, but for adults.”
“I found participation in the Bento Group to be very humanizing and deeply comforting. I feel fortunate to have stumbled across it and would recommend the experience to anyone who is curious about people, society, and creating a better possible future.”
“It’s a safe space for you to connect, reflect and be thoughtful in a way that I have never experienced before. It was magical.”
“The exercises made me want to be better at life. The group made sure I followed through.”
How to be a Bentoist is open to members of the Bento Society. A new season will begin Spring 2021.